Saturday, March 22, 2008

TV MAKES YOU STUPID?

The experiences shared with friends and family is the material one’s life is fabricated. In today’s era people prefer to watch reality television then experience reality. The majority of society average about 45 hours of television a week which consists of reality television, sitcoms, and other forms of entertainment. The entertainment replaces logic and takes away from their intellect. Growing up I spent most of my time at the school playground getting together to play sports. However, as I got older I got the responsibility to watch my little cousins and I was witnessing how stupid they were becoming. They would wake up really early on a Saturday morning to watch cartoons. It was there weekly festivity and they would wake me up early just so I could watch Tom and Jerry with them. They no longer wanted to draw, read, color, or play sports they just placed themselves on each couch and did not want to do anything. The television had kept their attention by providing laughter, excitement, and amusement so I had to ban television. Even though I received an unpleasant reaction the choice to get them out of the trance would only benefit them in the long run. According to Daphne Miller, a renowned doctor, she believes television is dangerous and damaging for those that are exposed to it. When we watch television we are not becoming smarter because the brain is a muscle when it is used to think it becomes stronger and you become smarter. “Television hands kids all the answers, promoting passive learning and short attention spans. As a result, kids have difficulty concentrating and working hard to solve a problem.” The consequences that television has on a developing mind are hazardous. Most children will have watched about 10,000 hours worth of television by the time they even start school. Then, the majority of kids will spend 10 hours in front of the TV for every hour spent tending to homework. Around the time students are graduating high school, they will have committed more time to television than they have to sitting in a classroom. Dr. Daphne Miller states that on average, children should spend less time watching television and use those hours saved to play sports, spending time with family and friends, to create, to build, and to contemplate.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

so in class you said you wanted a comment.. this is my favorite one. you are completely right. T.V. makes you stupid. I will admit I am obsessed with a few drama shows, but as for getting up early to watch cartoons, I cannot even manage to get up for class in the morning. On a serious note, your blog is really amazing, no other word I have, you have so many different topics, and each blog is interesting, I was not bored with any of them. My blogs are me complaining about life, where do you find your inspiration?

-steph